How to Tie the perfection loop for fly fishing
Learn how to tie the Perfection Loop knot for fly fishing, with this helpful instructional video.
1. To start the perfection loop, hold the standing line in one hand, and with your other hand create a loop about one-and-a-half inches in diameter that crosses behind the standing line. Pinch the two lines with your thumb and index finger to hold them in place.
Perfection Loop Knot
2. Next, using a similar action with the hand holding the tag end, create another loop in front of the loop you are holding, and finish with the tag end crossing behind the larger loop. This loop should be about one half of the size of the first loop.
3. Open your fingers slightly and pinch that loop as well.
4. Next, bring the tag from around the back of the large loop and cross it between the two loops, pulling it close enough to your fingers that you can again open your fingers slightly and pinch it together with the two larger loops.
5. Now, let go of the tag end and reach behind and through the large loop and grab the top of the smaller loop.
6. To finish the knot, simply pull the smaller loop through the larger loop from front to back.
7. Once you have the knot snugged into shape, you should lubricate it before finally giving it a strong tug, using the tip of your index finger inside the loop.
8. For heavy mono, it is a good idea to use the closed tip of some smooth pliers to apply enough pressure to seat the knot complete.
9. Finally, clip off the excess tag end, leaving a small stub.
10.The Perfection Loop tests out at 90-95% percent if tied properly.