If you're targeting big bass during the summertime, the best bait to use is a swimbait lure. You may know that they don't give you tons of bites, but in this case, quality is the key. The best bass you'll eve catch will come off this swimbait lure. This is why swimbaits are favorites with anglers who have the confidence to continue casting them in search of lunkers. Wade Bourne of MyOutdoorTV shows you how to fish a swimbait lure.
Swimbaits are soft plastic fish-shaped baits with swimming (paddle) tails. Two good examples are Strike King's Shadalicious and Berkley's HollowBelly. Swimbaits are typically rigged on a jighead or a weighted hook. They are simply cast out and reeled back in with a steady retrieve to look like a swimming baitfish. They are good for covering a lot of water when searching for bass. They can be fished across shallow flats or deep structure. They can also be rigged weedless for use in standing timber and around aquatic vegetation. Following are tips for using swim baits to catch bass that are feeding on baitfish.
- Use a medium-heavy rod (casting or spinning) and at least 20-pound test fluorocarbon line.
- After casting, be alert as the swimbait falls, since bites frequently come as it's sinking.
- A 5-inch bait is a good choice for starting out. Rig with enough weight to keep the bait down during a moderate retrieve speed.
- Swim the bait just above bottom along points, roadbeds, channel ledges, creek junctions, flats and other high-potential spots.
- Bites may be powerful or subtle. If your rod loads, continue reeling, then set the hook with a powerful sideways sweep with the rod.
- When learning to use swimbaits, leave other lures at home so you're forced to stick with these baits. After a full day of use, you should have a good understanding of their potential and plenty confidence that they will produce "big bites."
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades