If you're bass fisherman, then you know that the lipless crankbait is the bait you want in your fishing box. It's great for catching roaming fish chasing bait fish. However, there is an alternative you could use— a square-billed shallow running crankbait. They both are used in the same situations, but sometimes the billed crankbait will outperform the lipless crankbait. Wade Bourne of MyOutdoorTV shows you more about the square billed crankbait in this video.
Many expert anglers use a square-billed crankbait in place of a spinnerbait for "chunking and winding." They tie one of these lures on and start covering water, casting to any area or piece of cover where a bass might be hiding.
Square-billed crankbaits run shallow – usually 4 feet or less. They have a tight, frantic action, like a fleeing shad. They are reaction baits that move fast and trigger bites from fish that have to decide quickly whether to strike or let the "baitfish" get away.
Square-billed crankbaits are easy to fish. They are good over deep structure where bass are schooling, along weed edges, and along windy banks where rolling waves are pushing shad into the shallows. Following are more tips for using square-billed crankbaits to catch shallow-feeding bass.
- Match tackle to lures being used. Medium-action casting rods and 10- to 14-pond test monofilament are a good match for larger square-billed crankbaits. With smaller baits, go with spinning tackle and 8-10 lb. test mono.
- Use a bait that matches the natural forage in size; in other words, "match the hatch."
- If the water is clear, use natural-colored baits – chrome, white, etc. If the water is stained to dingy, use brighter colors – blue/chartreuse, tiger stripe, etc.
- Keep square-billed crankbaits tuned to run a straight track. If a bait is running offline, use needle nose pliers to slightly bend the line tie in the opposite direction, then recheck and continue making adjustments until the lure is running straight.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades