What's a jig worm? Well, it's exactly what the name implies: a jig rigged with a trailing plastic worm. If you're not a seasoned fisherman, the answer might not have been so obvious, but that doesn't matter when you find out how important this jig worm is. Wade Bourne of MyOutdoorTV shows you how to fish a jig worm.
A jig worm is a regular lead-head jig in one of three popular styles – round, mushroom and stand-up – with a worm trailing on the hook. The worm may be rigged either with the hook exposed or weedless (hook point inserted in the worm body).
This rig is typically considered a finesse presentation, when bass are in a neutral or negative mood. It is especially good for fishing weed edges when the bass are tucked into the cover. However, a jig worm can be a good alternative to a Texas-rigged worm on deep structure, bluff facings, boat docks and riprap banks. Basically, the jig worm is simply another pesentation that many anglers don't use. It is fished with a gliding or a lift-drop retrieve, depending on the specific situation an angler faces.
While the jig worm is considered to be better for producing numbers of smaller bass rather than big fish, it can also yield the latter, especially when bigger jigs and worms are used in deep structure areas where big fish spend most of the summer. Here are additional tips for catching more bass with jig worms.
- Jig worms are usually fished on spinning tackle, and long rods are better (6-7 ft. medium action).
- If fishing in open water, use 8- to 12-pound test fluorocarbon line. If fishing around weeds/aquatic vegetation, use heavier braided line with an 8-foot fluorocarbon leader. The braided line can be ripped through vegetation without breaking when the jig worm snags.
- Use Super Glue to glue the worm to the back of the jig head. Simply add a drop of glue to the back of the jig head, snug the worm up and allow to dry.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades