Large, sweaty men are usually the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word football, but for this video, we're not talking about the guys on the playing field, we're talking about the guys in the fishing boat, the kind of guys who like to use a "football jig".
Wade Bourne of MyOutdoorTV shows you that football-shaped jigs are highly popular among pro anglers on today's national bass fishing circuits. These jigs – so-named because of their football shape – are good for scouring bottom and catching bass holding on deep structure. Typically, football jigs are "dressed" with a plastic crawfish trailer, and they are drug across bottom (not hopped!) to kick up a trail of silt – just like live crawfish make.
Football jigs are meant to be fished on hard, clean-bottom areas, not where vegetation or brush is thick. Rock, sand, gravel, clay or hardpan points and ledges are classic spots to use these lures.
Heavy football jigs are typically used in deeper water, and these lures provide great sensitivity in determining bottom content. For instance, it's easy to tell when a football jig is drug from a soft-bottom area onto gravel, rock or mussel shell beds. Bass typically relate to these clean, hard bottom surfaces.
- For fishing in deep water, use a rod that is at least 7 feet long and which has a strong action but a medium tip for more sensitivity.
- Make long casts over target areas and start the retrieve only after the jig has hit bottom.
- Drag the jig along bottom with 1-2 foot sideways movements of the rod tip.
- Strikes may be jolting or very subtle. If the rod loads but no bump is felt, hold tension and feel for fish or watch where the line enters the water for any twitches or sideways movement.
- If you feel a bite and then there's no feeling whatsoever, a bass has probably grabbed the jig and is quickly swimming toward you with it.
- After you land this fish, quickly cast back to the same area. The first fish was likely being chased by other fish.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades